In French class one of my classmates asked if a few similar-looking words had any historical relation. (accueillir=to welcome, and cuillère=spoon). So then my prof was looking up the etymology of both words, and it turns out that they are not related. (but the word for spoon comes from Greeks eating escargot, intéressant, non?) . And that just reminded me of how cool our world is since the events of the tower of babel.
I mean, isn’t it so interesting that in some languages of tropical climates (I forget specifically, but i’m not making this up) have only one word that can be translated to English as “cold, freezing, ice, snow, etc.” because those are all concepts that they never encounter in living in the warm sunshine?
And why is it that other languages have like, eight words that translate to “love” in English, and yet we English-speakers are content to use the same word to describe our feeling towards our favorite food as for the person who we spend the rest of our lives with?
And then there is the fun of literal translation. For instance, here are a few common expressions that I have encountered recently that made me smile:
“La media naranja” which is spanish for “soulmate” translates literally as “half of orange”.
« faire du lèche-vitrines » is how the french say « to go window shopping ». Literally, however, they “go window-licking”.
If you slept in and you wanted to tell this to your French-speaking friend you would say « j’ai fait la
And just to run with this idea of literal translations, and because I am so self-centered, I feel now is an appropriate time to vent about my stupid name.
By the time I came around, my parents had run out of st. bernards to name me after, (the first heidi and first kate, yes, were big slobbery canine friends of my young father) and they (my parents) were forced to venture out and find an appropriate name for their fourth baby girl, a beastly cripple with the lungs of a magpie. I’m not sure how, but they decided on cheri louise.
I have never been fond of my own name—cheri—which often gets mispronounced as ‘cherry’ (“oh, like the fruit,” they will say), is always misspelled, and oddly enough is accompanied by other peoples concerns about my nicknames (“cher?!! Like the singer? (how atrocious!)”).
Someone once said, if you want to feel better about your problem, find someone with a bigger problem—it’s not that hard. (Or something to that effect.)
And so I did.
I invested great amounts of time (if I may exaggerate a bit) feeling sorry for those kids who were named Precious, Lovely, etc, etc. The one defense ‘cheri’ had for itself was that it was not also an adjective that one might use to describe a rare stone, or perhaps their great-aunts tea set.
It HAD this defense, that is until I started studying French and learned that ‘cheri’ = ‘dearest’ en français (--the masculine form, no less). It was then that I realized that if I ever introduced myself to a french-speaking person, I would be one of those individuals whom I previously spent so much time pitying.
Furthermore, I learned that if someone were to write me a letter, they would begin:
Chere Cheri,
Or if someone was looking for me, they might say:
Je cherche pour cheri.
Or if you wanted to express how expensive I was (as people often do in their daily lives):
Cheri est cher.
That’s all I got. (have).
5 comments:
i think coming to terms with your name is something that everybody goes through. like a rite of passage. i hate having to explain to people how to say my name, like my anatomy teacher who i just gave up on trying to teach her that my name was not in fact, "Alena" or "Lena" (i don't understand why its so difficult to remember, especially if i see you everyday, and it really annoys me that since its so hard for them to "comprehend" my name that they just revert to a familiar name because its easier or convenient). Seriously, there is a reason my mom chose to spell my name phonetically rather than the real way (Lena, pronounced the same way, not like the above example). for a long time i was angry with my mom for coming up with my name, and my dad for allowing her to name me that because i was always the annoying kid who would have to be like, "no its lain-a". this is why i plan to name my kids ridicules names (but ones i like) like, willem, jasper, wes, and booker (i feel like i have more but i cant remember and this comment is really long). on another note, i have a business proposition to discuss with you that involves orange squirrels.
you are very expenisve.
cheri est trés cher.
mais, mon petit chou, j'aime ton nom. i never thought of it as being one of "those" names. you were always just.... cheri with an i. someone its different when you are describing a you cheri than any other cheris. or cherrys. or sherrys.
damn i'm still signed in as green chauffeur!! ug
i think you should get them. you could totally own them, and it would be awesome.
when i was younger, i had a friend named monica (stripper name). she moved to new mexico. and i had a friend named jennie (who also moved to new mexico). and i had a friend named laura. and a friend named meredith.
and in my five-year-old mind, i could never spell any of them (moni-k-a, jenn-y, la-r-u-a, m-ar-i-dith)
but i could always spell cheri.
(no lie.)
Post a Comment